Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Untitled

Last week, when I visited my doctor for the routine follow-up, everything appeared so different.

This time, the Doctor didn’t have words of compassion for me,
Neither did he show any sympathy.
This time he didn’t prescribe any “more” antibiotics,
Neither did he write any “more” tests.
He no more called me a subject of an intriguing medical case,
Rather, he wished me luck for all my future endeavors!

This time, my Dad didn’t have words of reassurance for me,
Neither did he feel sorry for my condition.
This time he didn’t frantically make calls to his friends & cousins,
Neither did he take me to other doctors.
He no more locked himself in the balcony and puffed away his tensions,
Rather, he chose to talk to me about my plans going forward!

This time, my Mom didn’t have the gloomy look when I returned home,
Neither did she have tears rolling down her cheeks.
This time she didn’t stay awake the whole night,
Neither did she resort to any anti-depressants.
She no more apprised our relatives of my medical condition,
Rather, she gleefully attended their calls and told them about my future plans!

This time, in front of the doctor, I didn’t pretend to be strong,
Neither did I pretend to be in control.
This time, when the doctor spoke, I didn’t feel weak in my knees,
Neither did I get dizzy thinking of the O.T. again.
I no more thought of the cuts and the scars I had,
Rather, I chose to ignore them and move on!

This time, when I returned home, I didn’t get cranky with my parents,
Neither did I avoid any conversation.
This time, I didn’t re-live the years of excruciating mental & physical pain,
Neither did I think of the lost opportunities,
Though I could not help, but remember someone I lost forever.

This time, I didn’t indulge in depression drinking & eating,
Neither did depression shopping get stronger of me.
This time, I had no excuses for being out of touch with my friends,
Neither did I crave for them to be with me.
I no more cried behind those closed doors,
Rather, I could finally smile!

Of all the innumerous visits, to scores of doctors over the past couple of years, I know I will never forget this visit.



After hours of deliberation over the title for this post, I could come up with nothing that would sum it up in a few words. So I have decided to keep it blank!

10 comments:

Puneet Parakh said...

hahaha... i have so much to say.. your blog was not letting me publish my comments so :

http://puneetparakh.blogspot.com/2009/04/salute.html

Anonymous said...

Happy for you !
Good luck for all your future endeavours.
God Bless !

Vivek said...

Really great...we need to take lessons from ankit regarding mental strengtgh....i raise my hand and bend it so that the tip of my finger touches my forhead(fomally known as salute) as a gesture of hounour to your amazing mental strength...

Ankit Agarwal said...

@Puneet - I am really overwhelmed by this gesture.

@Vivek - u did contribute a lot to that mental strength ya! w/o u guys it wud ve been really tough for me. thanks for being thr always

<<- Jai ->> said...

Ankit, Good luck with everything. Hope everything works out well for you.

- Jai.

Ankit Agarwal said...

Thanks Jai!

Rahul Sharma said...

Hi, you dont know me .. I am a friend of puneet's .. guess that makes me ur friend too .

I have the highest admiration and respect for you. I am extremely happy with the latest development and wish you all the very best going forward.

Ankit Agarwal said...

Thanks a bunch Rahul!

Unknown said...

Every time I spoke to you before asking how are you doing.. I always got a simple casual matter of fact answer and I would be happy to see you come across so strong!
Today when I read this post, for the first time my eyes became numb, its because of overwhelming happiness [its a girls trait.. dont blame me for it]. Really happy for you. God Bless you. Come here soon :)

Ankit Agarwal said...

ji hum already US aa gaye hain :)